Prints In this project, we were required to challenge ourselves to create #abstract images. In abstract #photography, there are plenty of techniques that can be used to establish creativity. It took me time to figure out what to shoot and what will my abstract be, since abstracts are not my forte. For the past projects, we were asked to use a different method of printing rather than using the enlarger. It is called #Cyanotype, which are photographic #blueprints. At first, we synthesise the paper with a mix of two chemicals, which should have equal volumes, and are sensitive to light. Afterwards, we scan the film in order for us to insert it into the computer, allowing us to edit the photos using #Adobe #Photoshop. The photos are then printed using transparent papers. The synthesized paper is then placed with the transparent photographic papers under the sun, allowing sunlight to pass through, and finally printing the image.
After surfing through the Internet, and viewing numerous ideas, different options came to mind. At first, I shot a #film with different options in order to see how the image of an abstract would look like. For example, an old #typewriter, straws, sand with different imprints and textures.
Then, I decided to start shooting chocolate #textures and shapes. The idea did not go well, since the objects were clearly identifiable, and therefore could not be classified as an abstract.
After that, my whole idea shifted into creating double #exposures with the concept being “Infamous Items”, which meant taking pictures of flags, then overlapping the photos of every flag with whatever item the respective country of each flag was well known for. Upon developing the film, however, most of the pictures were incorrectly overlapping, where each flag overlapped on the wrong item.
Later I shot fruits with different textures and shapes, hoping that it would present a proper abstract result as that in my imagination. It then struck me that the final images were acceptable as abstracts, but lacked any true creativity and ingenuity.
At that point I let loose my #creativity by using Adobe Photoshop in different aspects by combining all of the previous failed #projects together in order to come up with some different masterpieces. On some pictures, I fixed the originally faulty double exposure. I added different textures to other images. I also placed different related images together to make a splendid abstract.
I have finally conferred my concept to be “Vague Drapes”. The reason for naming my concept with that name is due to the fact that most of the photos had masks acting as covers, so they had this vague element to them. To add to the vagueness of the images, extra drapes were added with different transparencies. For example, some straws were used with a mask, mimicking the effect of a curtain. Broken #glass was used on another photo covering the mask, adding to the theme of mysteriousness and ambiguity. A different picture was that of the Saudi Shomagh with the Saudi flag. This suits the concept well since the flag is acting as a drape, while the entire photo looks vague.
When printing, I tried using different papers to #print on, such as #fabric, #cotton and #newspaper. All three did not give the right exposure, so I used canson paper. Exposing the pictures to the sun was tricky because the sunlight was strong. Therefore, I did different test strips to get the right results. The timing of the entire test strip was from a minimum of 1 minute to a maximum of 9 minutes.